Ellen Covner, President of Custom Gardens, LLC, became acquainted with the pleasures of the garden at an early age. Her parents, avid gardeners, taught her to appreciate the serenity and beauty that a garden adds to life. She became a landscaper through a circuitous route, after many years of practice as a healthcare attorney working with hospitals and other healthcare professionals. However, the call of the outdoors was stronger and she moved from law to landscaping, focusing on creating landscapes that nourish people, beautify their properties, and promote a healthy environment. Ellen is a listener who partners with her clients to produce a landscape that reaches their goals. Ellen has a Certificate in Horticulture from the Barnes Foundation and is currently working on a Certificate in Ecological Gardening from the Mt. Cuba Center.
Ellen’s landscaping was photographed for an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer .
Ellen is a Member of:
- Hardy Plant Society/MidAtlantic Group
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- Pennsylvania Landscape and Nursery Association
- Mt. Cuba Center
- Longwood Gardens
Among Ellen’s Awards are:
- Wynnewood Business Association’s Women’s Excellence in Business Award 2010
- Main Line Chamber of Commerce Best Growing Business of the Year 2011
- Custom Gardens, LLC Receives 2019 Best of Newtown Square Award (click to read press release)
- Ellen is featured in the book This is NOT The Career I Ordered Second Edition.
- Ellen has also been featured in US News and World Report. To learn more go here